Monday 21 November 2011

A BLT was NOT just a BLT!


I remember the first time I stepped behind a counter. The smell of my grandmothers cooking was unforgettable.
A BLT was not just a BLT, it was comfort, it was soothing, the sound of the bacon on
the large flat grill had me, and still has me, curious. Every time I smell bacon, to this day, I slink up to the stove to inspect the process. The crackle of the bacon fat and the smell of the paper towel, ready to endure the sizzling bacon on its clean dry surface.


It's funny you know, you can be having the best memory of your life, the best time of your life and then it hits...the public...

I was 10 years old when I first starting helping my grandmother and aunt's catering company. I was a wild child with about as much energy as a tadpole and a chihuahua combined. I loved being with my grandmother. She was the most feisty, strong, helpful, precise women I had ever met. Everyone loved her, even if she didn't care to much for them. And I LOVED those times, because I usually got the same annoyed feeling about them even before she would whisper in my ear, "oh, go away," not to me of course. It's as if she was trying, through me, to send a little secret message to them. Because as soon as she said that, I would giggle, look at them, and sure enough even with their back turned they would quietly 'go away.' Genius! When they returned for their second BLT or bowel of the best orange pecan salad with red onion dressing they had ever encountered, my grandmother and I would discretely roll our eyes and have a secret giggle to ourselves that no one in the world can recreate. That was our moment, our way of telling each other that it was just you and me and thats all that mattered. This too shall pass, just a minor bump in the road, don't worry they will 'go away' soon. 
This was my first experience with the public...comical, because I had her, I had my back up, my wing man, my partner in crime. Behind the counter of the curling rink cafe, where my grandma and aunt used the kitchen for their catering company...Gibson and Gibson catering. And soon it began. More hours, more laughs, more annoyances...more public.


Tip your server...Cheers;
~ Rokett ~

No comments:

Post a Comment